My sister, Moralea, first started me on a version of this salad in the Cayman Islands, a little while later I modified it with the addition of pine nuts – suggested by my neighbor Marty- it is absolutely delicious, a meal in itself, and a nice break from heavy holiday meals. Make it small for a few or double up for a party. Serve with French baguette.
Napkin Giveaway! Post your favorite type of salad & your email address (so we can contact you if you win). The random number generator will choose 2 winners for the Amandine Light Blue Napkin Set! We'll announce the winners next week, so stay tuned...
-- Satisfying Salad --
In a large and pretty salad bowl mix:
* Greens – I like to use mixed baby lettuces with the addition of arugula for its nutty flavor.
* 1 large avocado sliced
* ½ large apple [Honeycrsip, McIntosh, so many tasty ones to choose from!]
* 15-20 cherry tomatoes sliced
* ½ cup of raisins
* ½ cup extra sharp cheddar cheese [Cabot if available!] bite size
* Small container blue cheese crumbles or feta cheese crumbles
* Pine nuts
1. Mix everything together- making sure some tomatoes and raisins and crumbles remain on top for a colorful presentation.
2. In a frying pan – fry sliced mushrooms and pine nuts [or slivered almonds] in butter.
3. Top salad with mushrooms and nuts before serving- finish with a salad dressing of choice- preferably a vinaigrette [raspberry is lovely with all of the mix of tastes] - having a great neighbor, I occasionally use ‘Marti’s Magical Maple’ dressing – also yummy!
4. Place your bowl on a pretty cloth, or if the table is small, a colorful tea towel. Set up your plates and forks, your warm bread and be prepared to hear ‘this is the best salad I have ever tasted! What’s your recipe?’
Please send me your favorite salad and you could be the proud owner of a new set of napkins!
All the best for the awesome decade to come!
Live Beautiful Feel Beautiful Be Beautiful
We have our two winners - please congratulate: Terri A. and Suzanne M. on receiving the April Cornell Amandine Light Blue Napkin Bundle! Thank you all for participating - it's a joy to read each entry!
(Our winners were chosen by Tara Frey's Random Number Generator)